Von 8 Einheimischen empfohlen ·
Tipps von Einheimischen
On the west side of Chania harbor, the traveler can still visit Firkas fortress, still dominating a low hill and housing the modern Naval Museum of Crete. Firkas is a Turkish name and means division, as the fort housed the headquarters of the Turkish Division. Firkas is one of the most impressive…
It may now house the Maritime Museum, but Firkas Fortress, on the north side of the Koundouriotou Coast, has been a watchdog since 1645 as a timeless symbol of freedom for Crete. In Turkish it means "barracks", but it was the Venetians who erected the fort as a fortification project to protect the…
The fortress Revellino del Porto on the northwest side of the port of Chania was constructed by Venetians to prevent any enemy danger for the port. Its construction began in 1610 and completed a few years before the fall of the city in Turks in 1645.
Fort Firkas is by the Venetian port of Chania. Firkas (military unit) was built in 1629 and is considered a significant historic monument for Crete. In February 16th 1897, the flag of the Great Powers was raised here, pronouncing Crete's autonomy. At the same place, 16 years later, on December 1st…
The Firkas Fortress was constructed in 1629 in Chania to protect the Venetian harbour entrance from raiders. “Firka” in Turkish means a military division, and the building was used as the barracks of the Turkish army in Chania. The Maritime Museum of Crete is housed in the Firkas fortress today.
Einzigartige Aktivitäten in der Umgebung
Unterkünfte in der Nähe
Das empfehlen Einheimische
“When in Chania not forget to visit the Museum of Ancient and Traditional Shipbuilding at the docks of the Venetian harbor, where you can see the representation of the Minoan ship "Minoa" of 16th-15th century BC,. The ship was launched in December 2003 and in 2004 made its maiden trip from Chania to Piraeus, accompanying the Olympic flame that was moved by the Athenian Trireme in the last part of the route, and boating events and celebrations of Naval Week. The ship belongs to the nearby Naval Museum. ”
- Von 2 Einheimischen empfohlen
Place of Worship
“The Küçük Hasan Pasha Mosque or Gialisi Tzami (mosque of the sea) is actually the only preserved mosque of the city of Chania. It was built on the site of a preexisting Christian temple after the conquest of Chania by the Ottomans in 1645, honoring Küçük Hasan Pasha. The mosque bears a large semispherical dome supported by stone arches. The north and west sides house a gallery that is topped by six small domes. This gallery was initially open, as used in the mosques, but in the late 19th century it was closed by arched openings. The mosque was a project of the same Armenian architect that built the mosque of Spaniakos, near Paleochora. The mosque was surrounded by a nice yard with tall palm trees, which hosted the graves of the Ottoman rulers. It ceased its opetation in 1923 and its minaret was demolished in 1939. During the 2nd World War it housed the Archaeological Museum of Chania. Afterwards it was used as a storehouse, folklore museum, tourist information point and exhibition venue. ”
- Von 7 Einheimischen empfohlen