Zu Inhalten springen
Place of Worship

Agia Triada Tzagaroli Monastery

Von 7 Einheimischen empfohlen ·

Tipps von Einheimischen

Murray
Murray
June 29, 2020
One of the oldest monasteries in the area, it is full of history. The museum is excellent and the icons are truly fascinating. There is a lovely shop with local produce. Enjoy the courtyards, with their trees, flowers and kittens!
Matthew
Matthew
September 15, 2019
The Monastery of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) Tsagarolon is located about 20 km northeast of Chania town, in the peninsula Aktorini. This is an impressive monastery and in fact, it is the largest of all monasteries in Crete. Its architecture has elements of the Venetian and the Cretan Renaissance…
Χάρης
Χάρης
December 9, 2018
The Monastery of Agia Triada has a distinctive façade with Doric columns, but the elements of Renaissance architecture remind us that the monastery was built by the Cretan monks Ieremias and Lavrentios, of the Venetian Orthodox Tzagarolos family. Tzagarolon Monastery is a Patriarchal - Stavropegiac…
Ανδρεασ
Ανδρεασ
May 29, 2018
The Monastery of Agia Triada, or the Tzagarolon Monastery is one of the most impressive monasteries you will see in Crete. It stands out for its façade with the Doric columns, as well as the elements of Renaissance architecture. It was built by Cretan monks Jeremiah and Lavrentius from the Venetian…
Dimitris
Dimitris
June 19, 2017
feel free to ask us anything.... we can visit these places together or with an other guide.

Einzigartige Aktivitäten in der Umgebung

Das empfehlen Einheimische

Place of Worship
“The Monastery of Gouverneto, or Our Lady of the Angels, is located on the northern side of the Akrotiri peninsula, 19 km from Chania and 4 km from the Monastery of Agia Triada Tsagarolon. This is considered among the oldest monasteries in Crete as it was established in 1537. It must also have been among the largest monasteries of Crete in the past, as according to testimonies about 60 monks were living there the period before the occupation of Crete from the Ottomans. During World War II, the Germans established a guardhouse to control the region. The last years, the monks restored the monastery and repaired the damages of time. The architecture of this monastery looks like a castle, with towers that used to protect it from enemies. Only two of the four towers survive today, but the remains of the other two can be seen in the yard. The katholikon of the monastery is dedicated to Virgin Mary. This is a cross-shaped church without domes and interestingly it has carved monsters at the entrance of the church. The style is influenced by the Renaissance and the Baroque. The Monastery of Gouverneto was founded by Saint John the Hermit, which is why a small chapel is dedicated to him next to the katholikon. Also, his cave can be seen in the nearby Avlaki Gorge. Another chapel in the monastery is dedicated to the Ten Saints of Crete. Inside the Monastery of Gouverneto, there is a small ecclesiastical museum with precious relics.”
  • Von 11 Einheimischen empfohlen
Restaurant
“Italian tratoria owned by an Italian chef with delicious pasta and antipasti. ”
  • Von 6 Einheimischen empfohlen
Place of Worship
“Monastery is one of the best preserved monasteries on Crete,built between 1618 and 1637 and it is dedicated to Virgin Mary. ”
  • Von 8 Einheimischen empfohlen
Kirche
“Female monastery where the nuns produce olive oil, wine and many more local products.”
  • Von 2 Einheimischen empfohlen
Kirche
“The present Cathedral temple of "Eisodion" was built on the place of an older temple of "Theotokos" (Virgin Mary) Trimartiri, dating back to the 14th century. When the city of Chania was occupied by the Turks in 1645, the temple was converted into a soap-factory without altering its initial design. Until 1868, the temple functioned as a soap-factory and belonged to the Turkish dignitary Moustafa Pasha Giritli (= the Cretan). In the area of the olive storage room, Moustafa had ordered the protection of the icon of Virgin Mary with a vigil candle. According to tradition, the soap-factory business failed and was abandoned, and the icon of Virgin Mary was taken by the last technician. When Moustafa became Prime Minister, during the reign of the Sultan Metzit, the Christian Community requested the re-construction of the temple in the place of the soap-factory. Moustafa assigned the area for this purpose and the Sultan and Veli Pasha (the Commander of Crete) provided monetary support. Despite the hostility between the Christians and the Ottomans, this contribution was appreciated and the church was finally re-built. The construction of the church was completed in 1860 in the style of a three aisle Basilica. The middle aisle is higher and covered by a pointed arch. The other aisles are covered by cross-ribbed vaults and are divided vertically by the women's balcony. On the northeast side of the temple there is the high bell-tower. The architectural elements of the temple are associated more with the tradition developed in the period of the Venetian occupation: sculptured pseudo-pillars, cornices and arched openings. The east wall is decorated with large and impressive religious paintings, the works of G. Kalliterakis, G. Stravrakis, E. Tripolitakis and D. Kokotsis. The icon of the Virgin Mary ("Eisodion tis Theotokou") was also returned to the temple. The temple is closely connected to the historical events in the city and it was an asylum and shelter during war time and revolutions. It was severely damaged in May 1941 by the bombs dropped by the Germans.”
  • Von 1 Einheimischen empfohlen
Standort
Moni Agias Triados ton Tzagkarolon, 731 00
Telefonnummer2821 063572