Zu Inhalten springen
Restaurant

Peter Cat

Von 9 Einheimischen empfohlen ·

Tipps von Einheimischen

Mehul
Mehul
September 21, 2017
It's famous for its Chelo Kebabs! Must try their continental food.
Gaurav
Gaurav
August 10, 2017
It serves amazing Continental food. Their Jelo kebabas are a must try.
Tathagata & Indrani
Tathagata & Indrani
August 27, 2016
They are famous for their Chelo kabab which is a non spicy Preparation of Mutton,Eggs and Rice and is a favourite of Tourists.They also make good sizzlers and other Continental Food.
Sukanya
Sukanya
August 7, 2016
Old world charm--some great signature dishes
Gautam
Gautam
August 4, 2016
Best Chello Kebabs served in the town

Unterkünfte in der Nähe

Das empfehlen Einheimische

Restaurant
“It's an amazing place to party especially when you are here for the weekend.”
  • Von 3 Einheimischen empfohlen
Premise
“This is very famous place in Kolkata, a relic of affluence from the recent past. ”
  • Von 5 Einheimischen empfohlen
Grill-Imbiss
“Yet another iconic place for some amazing Chinese food.The simple formula of large servings and great value. You just can't go wrong. ”
  • Von 8 Einheimischen empfohlen
Bäckerei
“Iconic heritage restaurant of Kolkata for a yummy breakfast or to satisfy your sweet tooth”
  • Von 13 Einheimischen empfohlen
Sublocality Level 3
“New Market is a market in Kolkata situated on Lindsay Street, beside Free School Street (Mirza Ghalib Street/Rani Rasmoni Road). Although primarily "New Market" referred to the original enclosed market, today in local parlance, the entire shopping area is often known as "New Market". Some of the earliest English quarters of Calcutta were in an area known then as Dalhousie Square. Terretti and Lalbazar nearby were the customary shopping haunts of the British. Later settlements arose in Kashaitola, Dharmatala and Chowringhee. By the 1850s, British colonists held sway in Calcutta and displayed increasing contempt for the "natives" and an aversion to brushing shoulders with them at the bazaars. In 1871, moved by a well orchestrated outcry from English residents, a committee of the Calcutta Corporation began to contemplate a market which would be the preserve of Calcutta's British residents. Spurred by the committee's deliberations, the Corporation purchased Lindsay Street, made plans to raze the old Fenwick's Bazar located there, and commissioned Richard Roskell Bayne, an architect of the East Indian Railway Company, to design the Victorian Gothic market complex which would take its place. It began to take shape in 1873, and Bayne was honoured for his achievement with a Rs. 1,000 rupee award, a large sum in the 1870s. Mackintosh Burn was the builder. The giant shopping arcade was thrown open to the English populace with some fanfare on 1 January 1874. News of Calcutta's first municipal market spread rapidly. Affluent colonials from all over India shopped at exclusive retailers like Ranken and Company (dressmakers), Cuthbertson and Harper (shoe-merchants) and R.W. Newman or Thacker Spink, the famous stationers and book-dealers. Sir Stuart Hogg, then the Chairman of Calcutta Corporation, had shown tenacious support for the plans to build the New Market. So, 28 years later, on 2 December 1903, the market was officially named Sir Stuart Hogg Market and later shortened to Hogg Market. Bengali society, in the British era, called it Hogg Shaheber Bajaar, a name that is still in use, just as a painting of Sir Stuart Hogg still hangs in Calcutta Corporation's portrait gallery. But the earliest provisional nickname, New Market, which remained in use throughout, proved to have the most sticking power. New Market's growth kept pace with the city until World War II. The northern portion of the market came up in 1909 at an expense of 6 lakh rupees. Despite the gathering storm of World War II, an extension was engineered on the south flank, and the historic clock tower on the southern end of the market was shipped over from Huddersfield and installed in the 1930s. Florists were located near the front entrance, and stalls selling fresh and preserved foods were placed towards the rear of the market. Beyond the vegetable stalls, fishmongers and slaughterhouse butchers plied their trade, and, until the mid-1970s, at the very back of the market, exotic animals from all over the British Empire could be bought as pets ”
  • Von 11 Einheimischen empfohlen
Standort
18 Park St
Kolkata, WB 700071