Zu Inhalten springen

Carmen’s guidebook

Carmen

Carmen’s guidebook

Sightseeing
The Council Tower of Sibiu (Romanian: Turnul Sfatului, German: Hermannstädter Ratsturm) is a tower situated between the two main squares of Sibiu, the Great Square (Piața Mare) and the Small Square (Piața Mică). It was built in the 12th century, but was also rebuilt multiple times, with its architecture getting changed. In the course of history, the tower played different roles, being used, among others, as a wheat storage or as an observation point in case of fire. Nowadays, it is used for exhibitions. The Council Tower is considered the most iconic building of Sibiu, which was the European Capital of Culture in 2007. Being the city's symbol, it is often found on Sibiu souvenirs or any kind of advertisement relating to the city.
15
Einheimische empfehlen
Council Tower
1 Piata Mica
15
Einheimische empfehlen
The Council Tower of Sibiu (Romanian: Turnul Sfatului, German: Hermannstädter Ratsturm) is a tower situated between the two main squares of Sibiu, the Great Square (Piața Mare) and the Small Square (Piața Mică). It was built in the 12th century, but was also rebuilt multiple times, with its architecture getting changed. In the course of history, the tower played different roles, being used, among others, as a wheat storage or as an observation point in case of fire. Nowadays, it is used for exhibitions. The Council Tower is considered the most iconic building of Sibiu, which was the European Capital of Culture in 2007. Being the city's symbol, it is often found on Sibiu souvenirs or any kind of advertisement relating to the city.
The Brukenthal National Museum (Romanian: Muzeul Naţional Brukenthal; German: Brukenthalmuseum) is a museum, erected in the late 18th century in Sibiu, Transylvania, Romania, housed in the palace of Samuel von Brukenthal — who was Habsburg governor of Transylvania and who established its first collections around 1790. The collections were officially opened to the public in 1817, making it the oldest institution of its kind in Romania. It is a complex of six museums, which, without being separate administrative entities, are situated in different locations around the city and have their own distinct cultural programmes.
22
Einheimische empfehlen
Brukenthalmuseum
4-5 Piața Mare
22
Einheimische empfehlen
The Brukenthal National Museum (Romanian: Muzeul Naţional Brukenthal; German: Brukenthalmuseum) is a museum, erected in the late 18th century in Sibiu, Transylvania, Romania, housed in the palace of Samuel von Brukenthal — who was Habsburg governor of Transylvania and who established its first collections around 1790. The collections were officially opened to the public in 1817, making it the oldest institution of its kind in Romania. It is a complex of six museums, which, without being separate administrative entities, are situated in different locations around the city and have their own distinct cultural programmes.
Originally, the bridge was made of wood. About 200 years later, in 1859, the Bridge of Lies was rebuilt, being the first cast iron bridge in Romania. The pedestrian bridge built over the street Ocnei connects the Lower Town to the Upper Town. Eleven years ago, the Bridge of Lies has been included on the historical monuments in the county of Sibiu and is a true symbol of the former European Capital of Culture. Currently, the Bridge of Lies is considered a romantic place where lovers meet to swear eternal love and to attach the locks of love.
10
Einheimische empfehlen
The Bridge of Lies
10
Einheimische empfehlen
Originally, the bridge was made of wood. About 200 years later, in 1859, the Bridge of Lies was rebuilt, being the first cast iron bridge in Romania. The pedestrian bridge built over the street Ocnei connects the Lower Town to the Upper Town. Eleven years ago, the Bridge of Lies has been included on the historical monuments in the county of Sibiu and is a true symbol of the former European Capital of Culture. Currently, the Bridge of Lies is considered a romantic place where lovers meet to swear eternal love and to attach the locks of love.
The Walk of Fame, opened in the summer of 2013 by the Municipality with the occasion of the 20th anniversary edition of the International Theatre Festival of Sibiu, is thought as a permanent location of celebration and recognition of these contributions, as well as a tribute to the accomplishments in the cultural and artistic field of Sibiu or related to it. Although inspired by the famous Walk of Fame from Hollywood, the Walk of Fame from Sibiu is thought as a cultural event, which gives it its own personality, as well as a tourist attraction conferring uniqueness to the site.
Sibiu Walk of Fame
The Walk of Fame, opened in the summer of 2013 by the Municipality with the occasion of the 20th anniversary edition of the International Theatre Festival of Sibiu, is thought as a permanent location of celebration and recognition of these contributions, as well as a tribute to the accomplishments in the cultural and artistic field of Sibiu or related to it. Although inspired by the famous Walk of Fame from Hollywood, the Walk of Fame from Sibiu is thought as a cultural event, which gives it its own personality, as well as a tourist attraction conferring uniqueness to the site.
The Sibiu Lutheran Cathedral was built in the 14th century on the location of another 12th-century church. For three centuries it served as a burial place for the mayors, earls and other personalities from Sibiu. This practice was banned in 1796 but one exception was made in 1803 when baron Samuel von Brukenthal was laid to rest in the crypt. In 1671 a Slovakian craftsman built an organ to replace the previous one that was built in 1585. Today the newer organ is the largest in the southeastern region of Europe. During the summer, there are concerts every Wednesday night.
9
Einheimische empfehlen
Evangelische Stadtpfarrkirche
FN Piața Albert Huet
9
Einheimische empfehlen
The Sibiu Lutheran Cathedral was built in the 14th century on the location of another 12th-century church. For three centuries it served as a burial place for the mayors, earls and other personalities from Sibiu. This practice was banned in 1796 but one exception was made in 1803 when baron Samuel von Brukenthal was laid to rest in the crypt. In 1671 a Slovakian craftsman built an organ to replace the previous one that was built in 1585. Today the newer organ is the largest in the southeastern region of Europe. During the summer, there are concerts every Wednesday night.
The Romanian cultural association ASTRA decided in 1897 to establish a museum of Romanian civilisation as a "shelter for keeping the past". The museum was opened in 1905, under the supervision of Cornel Diaconovici, in what is today the ASTRA Palace in Sibiu, built through a public subscription with the specific purpose of creating a museum. In 1929, in Cluj, an open-air Ethnographic Museum of Transylvania was created, and in 1932 the Village Museum was opened in Bucharest by Dimitrie Gusti.
25
Einheimische empfehlen
Muzeul ASTRA
16-20 Strada Pădurea Dumbrava
25
Einheimische empfehlen
The Romanian cultural association ASTRA decided in 1897 to establish a museum of Romanian civilisation as a "shelter for keeping the past". The museum was opened in 1905, under the supervision of Cornel Diaconovici, in what is today the ASTRA Palace in Sibiu, built through a public subscription with the specific purpose of creating a museum. In 1929, in Cluj, an open-air Ethnographic Museum of Transylvania was created, and in 1932 the Village Museum was opened in Bucharest by Dimitrie Gusti.
This is the historic center of Sibiu, first mentioned in documents in 1411 as a cereal market, the square existing since 1366 when the third fortification belt of the city was finalized. Staring with the 16th century, the large square became the center of the old city. For hundreds of years the square was named Der Grosse Ring or Grosser Platz, between the two world wars it was called King Ferdinand Square, the communists named it the Republic Square and starting with 1990 it returned to its original name.
Großer Ring
This is the historic center of Sibiu, first mentioned in documents in 1411 as a cereal market, the square existing since 1366 when the third fortification belt of the city was finalized. Staring with the 16th century, the large square became the center of the old city. For hundreds of years the square was named Der Grosse Ring or Grosser Platz, between the two world wars it was called King Ferdinand Square, the communists named it the Republic Square and starting with 1990 it returned to its original name.
Located at the border between the Upper Town and the Lower Town, the passage goes right under the arches of the first fortification of the town's medieval core. 'Pasajul Scărilor' means the 'Passage of the Stairs' and it is called like that because it descends from the Upper town to the Lower Town.
Stairs Passage
Located at the border between the Upper Town and the Lower Town, the passage goes right under the arches of the first fortification of the town's medieval core. 'Pasajul Scărilor' means the 'Passage of the Stairs' and it is called like that because it descends from the Upper town to the Lower Town.