Zu Inhalten springen

Guidebook for Roma

Rita Carmela

Guidebook for Roma

Sightseeing
A direct connection to Trastevere with a postcard background in which you can see the dome of St. Peter's Basilica, is created by Ponte Sisto, built by Pope Sixtus IV della Rovere (1471-1484), on the occasion of the Jubilee of 1475, to allow direct communication between the Trastevere quarter (and the Vatican) and the rest of the city. The bridge consists of four arches covered in travertine marble. It has a central circular opening and is decorated by five marble papal coat of arms. The problem of the identification of the author of the project remains unsolved, with the attribution of Vasari to the Florentine architect Baccio Pontelli (c.1450-1492) having been disproved by that the fact that he arrived in Rome only after it was built. After the unification of Italy, due to the growing needs of traffic, in 1877, it was decided to increase a section of the bridge by adding two metal walkways suspended on corbels designed by Angelo Vescovali (1826-1895). These walkways, made of soft cast iron, together with the innermost support structure, have deteriorated increasingly over time, without the possibility to carry out the necessary maintenance due to the way they were constructed.
20
Einheimische empfehlen
Ponte Sisto
20
Einheimische empfehlen
A direct connection to Trastevere with a postcard background in which you can see the dome of St. Peter's Basilica, is created by Ponte Sisto, built by Pope Sixtus IV della Rovere (1471-1484), on the occasion of the Jubilee of 1475, to allow direct communication between the Trastevere quarter (and the Vatican) and the rest of the city. The bridge consists of four arches covered in travertine marble. It has a central circular opening and is decorated by five marble papal coat of arms. The problem of the identification of the author of the project remains unsolved, with the attribution of Vasari to the Florentine architect Baccio Pontelli (c.1450-1492) having been disproved by that the fact that he arrived in Rome only after it was built. After the unification of Italy, due to the growing needs of traffic, in 1877, it was decided to increase a section of the bridge by adding two metal walkways suspended on corbels designed by Angelo Vescovali (1826-1895). These walkways, made of soft cast iron, together with the innermost support structure, have deteriorated increasingly over time, without the possibility to carry out the necessary maintenance due to the way they were constructed.
The evocative Chiesa di San Pietro in Montorio, so called by "Mons Aureus", name given to the Gianicolo for its golden marl, was built before C.IX on the place where, for an accidental tradition, one thought that San Pietro was crucified. Restored right after 1481 for the command of Ferdinando IV di Spagna, probably on a plan by Baccio Pontelli, it was remodeled after the combatmens in 1849 which had partially damaged it. The simple and elegant Renaissance façade is traditionally attributed to Meo del Caprina but pondered to be from the School of Bregno by authoritative critics. It rises on two floors with angular pilaster strips, which close up a gothic rose-window and the portal that is accessible via a stairway with a double-ramp. The interior has a single nave, with four chapels per side, all originally shaped like an apse, and two wider chapels that make up the transept. In the first chapel to the right one finds the "Flagellazione" by Sebastiano del Piombo and dated 1518 on a drawing by Michelangelo. In the small courtyard of the church one finds the famous Tempietto del Bramante, round shaped, made of sixteen Dorian granite columns.
32
Einheimische empfehlen
San Pietro in Montorio
2 Piazza di S. Pietro in Montorio
32
Einheimische empfehlen
The evocative Chiesa di San Pietro in Montorio, so called by "Mons Aureus", name given to the Gianicolo for its golden marl, was built before C.IX on the place where, for an accidental tradition, one thought that San Pietro was crucified. Restored right after 1481 for the command of Ferdinando IV di Spagna, probably on a plan by Baccio Pontelli, it was remodeled after the combatmens in 1849 which had partially damaged it. The simple and elegant Renaissance façade is traditionally attributed to Meo del Caprina but pondered to be from the School of Bregno by authoritative critics. It rises on two floors with angular pilaster strips, which close up a gothic rose-window and the portal that is accessible via a stairway with a double-ramp. The interior has a single nave, with four chapels per side, all originally shaped like an apse, and two wider chapels that make up the transept. In the first chapel to the right one finds the "Flagellazione" by Sebastiano del Piombo and dated 1518 on a drawing by Michelangelo. In the small courtyard of the church one finds the famous Tempietto del Bramante, round shaped, made of sixteen Dorian granite columns.
Designed and built to mark the terminus of the Trajan Aqueduct, between 1610 and 1614, by architects Giovanni Fontana (1540-1614) and Flaminio Ponzio (1560-1613) and Ippolito Buzio(1562-1634), sculptor, the fountain was commonly known as the Janiculum Fountain because it dominates the large terrace there that overlooks the city. It was commissioned by Pope Paul V of the Borghese family and it is their emblems – dragons and eagles – that can be seen in several places around the fountain itself. It comprises five archways flanked by columns and topped with a large pediment complete with dedicatory inscription. White and multi-coloured marble stripped from the Roman Forum and the Temple of Minerva in the Forum of Nerva was used for the decorative elements of the fountains, whilst its red and grey columns used to be part of the St. Peter’s Basilica dating to the Constantine era. Towards the end of the 17th century, the architect Carlo Fontana (1638-1714) altered the fountain’s facade into what it is today and a monumental semi-circular marble basin was added, substituting the five original basins located between the arches.
71
Einheimische empfehlen
Fontana Paola
71
Einheimische empfehlen
Designed and built to mark the terminus of the Trajan Aqueduct, between 1610 and 1614, by architects Giovanni Fontana (1540-1614) and Flaminio Ponzio (1560-1613) and Ippolito Buzio(1562-1634), sculptor, the fountain was commonly known as the Janiculum Fountain because it dominates the large terrace there that overlooks the city. It was commissioned by Pope Paul V of the Borghese family and it is their emblems – dragons and eagles – that can be seen in several places around the fountain itself. It comprises five archways flanked by columns and topped with a large pediment complete with dedicatory inscription. White and multi-coloured marble stripped from the Roman Forum and the Temple of Minerva in the Forum of Nerva was used for the decorative elements of the fountains, whilst its red and grey columns used to be part of the St. Peter’s Basilica dating to the Constantine era. Towards the end of the 17th century, the architect Carlo Fontana (1638-1714) altered the fountain’s facade into what it is today and a monumental semi-circular marble basin was added, substituting the five original basins located between the arches.
The street is dedicated to the homonymous church of the end eleventh century. At number 20 is one of the '400 house which would seem to belong to Fornarina, a lover of the famous Raphael. La via è dedicata all'omonima chiesa della fine dell'XI secolo. Al civico 20 sorge una casa del '400 che sembrerebbe appartenesse alla Fornarina,amante del celebre Raffaello.
Via di Santa Dorotea
The street is dedicated to the homonymous church of the end eleventh century. At number 20 is one of the '400 house which would seem to belong to Fornarina, a lover of the famous Raphael. La via è dedicata all'omonima chiesa della fine dell'XI secolo. Al civico 20 sorge una casa del '400 che sembrerebbe appartenesse alla Fornarina,amante del celebre Raffaello.
Sorge sulla piazza di S.Francesco d'Assisi e la chiesa custodisce la cella del santo ed alcune sue reliquie. Il est situé sur la place de Saint- François d'Assise et l'église conserve la cellule du saint et certaines de ses reliques . It's located on the square of St. Francis of Assisi; in the church there is the cell of the saint and some of its relics.
18
Einheimische empfehlen
Chiesa di San Francesco a Ripa Grande
88 Piazza di S. Francesco d'Assisi
18
Einheimische empfehlen
Sorge sulla piazza di S.Francesco d'Assisi e la chiesa custodisce la cella del santo ed alcune sue reliquie. Il est situé sur la place de Saint- François d'Assise et l'église conserve la cellule du saint et certaines de ses reliques . It's located on the square of St. Francis of Assisi; in the church there is the cell of the saint and some of its relics.
Legend has it that the Tiber Island was formed, to say the least, in a rather curious manner: the angry Romans, after having overthrown in a popular uprising the reviled tyrant Lucius Tarquinius Superbus, threw his wheat and grain into the Tiber. The accumulation of mud around it is said to have gradually lead to the forming of the island. In truth tuff rock, rather like that near the Capitoline Hill, compacted forming the natural geological foundation for the sand, dragged here by the river’s current, to rest. The island has also been traditionally associated through the centuries with the healing of the sick. In fact, it is often also called the Stone Ship, an indirect reference to this very association. In 291 B.C., a terrible plague swept through the city of Rome, wiping out much of its population. The priests, after having consulted the Sybilline books, despatched a delegation on a ship to Epidaurus, a small city in ancient Greece and site of a sanctuary to Aesculapius, to bring back a statue of this God of Medicine and Healing. The ambassadors returned bringing with them a serpent, an animal closely associated and dear to the God. On approaching the Tiber Island, according to the Roman Poet Ovid in his Metamorphoses, the serpent jumped ship and swam to the islet. Believing this was an incarnation of the God himself, a temple to Aesculapius was erected just where the serpent landed and the island was carved into the shape of a ship as a tribute to the occasion. Today the Aesculapius temple lies under the Church of San Bartelomeo, a new basilica constructed by the Emperor Otto III in 998. In 1582, the Spanish monks of the Order of St. John Calibytis founded a hospital which is still fully operational today and whose name "Fatebenefratelli" derives from the litany which these prelates used to sing as darkness fell on leaving to collect alms.
53
Einheimische empfehlen
Tiber Island
53
Einheimische empfehlen
Legend has it that the Tiber Island was formed, to say the least, in a rather curious manner: the angry Romans, after having overthrown in a popular uprising the reviled tyrant Lucius Tarquinius Superbus, threw his wheat and grain into the Tiber. The accumulation of mud around it is said to have gradually lead to the forming of the island. In truth tuff rock, rather like that near the Capitoline Hill, compacted forming the natural geological foundation for the sand, dragged here by the river’s current, to rest. The island has also been traditionally associated through the centuries with the healing of the sick. In fact, it is often also called the Stone Ship, an indirect reference to this very association. In 291 B.C., a terrible plague swept through the city of Rome, wiping out much of its population. The priests, after having consulted the Sybilline books, despatched a delegation on a ship to Epidaurus, a small city in ancient Greece and site of a sanctuary to Aesculapius, to bring back a statue of this God of Medicine and Healing. The ambassadors returned bringing with them a serpent, an animal closely associated and dear to the God. On approaching the Tiber Island, according to the Roman Poet Ovid in his Metamorphoses, the serpent jumped ship and swam to the islet. Believing this was an incarnation of the God himself, a temple to Aesculapius was erected just where the serpent landed and the island was carved into the shape of a ship as a tribute to the occasion. Today the Aesculapius temple lies under the Church of San Bartelomeo, a new basilica constructed by the Emperor Otto III in 998. In 1582, the Spanish monks of the Order of St. John Calibytis founded a hospital which is still fully operational today and whose name "Fatebenefratelli" derives from the litany which these prelates used to sing as darkness fell on leaving to collect alms.
On the ground floor is a modern pharmacy. But the 1st floor (in the convent of the Discalced Carmelites) is the Old Pharmacy, a small jewel that preserves pharmaceutics laboratory and the original mill. Visiting by reservation only by calling n. 06 / 5806233. Al piano terra è una moderna farmacia. Ma al 1° piano (nel convento dei Carmelitani Scalzi)si trova l'Antica Spezieria, piccolo gioiello che conserva il laboratorio galenico e il frantoio originari.
7
Einheimische empfehlen
Farmacia S. Maria della Scala
23 Piazza della Scala
7
Einheimische empfehlen
On the ground floor is a modern pharmacy. But the 1st floor (in the convent of the Discalced Carmelites) is the Old Pharmacy, a small jewel that preserves pharmaceutics laboratory and the original mill. Visiting by reservation only by calling n. 06 / 5806233. Al piano terra è una moderna farmacia. Ma al 1° piano (nel convento dei Carmelitani Scalzi)si trova l'Antica Spezieria, piccolo gioiello che conserva il laboratorio galenico e il frantoio originari.
The Garibaldi Ossuary Mausoleum is on the Janiculum hill in the small suburb known as Colle del Pino, where between April 30th and the first days of July of 1849, the last courageous defense of the Roman Republic led by Giuseppe Garibaldi was proclaimed on February 9 of the same year. Designed by Giovanni Jacobucci (1895-1970) and solemnly opened on November 3, 1941, after two years of construction, the Mausoleum contains the remains of those killed in the battles for Roma Capitale from 1849 to 1870.
Mausoleo Ossario Garibaldino
29 Via Garibaldi
The Garibaldi Ossuary Mausoleum is on the Janiculum hill in the small suburb known as Colle del Pino, where between April 30th and the first days of July of 1849, the last courageous defense of the Roman Republic led by Giuseppe Garibaldi was proclaimed on February 9 of the same year. Designed by Giovanni Jacobucci (1895-1970) and solemnly opened on November 3, 1941, after two years of construction, the Mausoleum contains the remains of those killed in the battles for Roma Capitale from 1849 to 1870.
The design of this Bramante’s masterpiece dates back to 1502 although the building was ordered by the Spanish royal family in fulfillment of a vow made for the birth of their first son, John, who died prematurely in 1497. The building was erected as "martyrium" to remember the alleged execution site of St. Peter. It has a colonnade outside, resting on a short flight of stairs also circular, crowned by a balustrade from which rises the dome, partially modified by interventions of seventeenth century. The interior has a round plan, on the altar has a statue of the apostle, made by an unknown artist of the Lombard school of the sixteenth century. Below the round plan room there is a crypt unadorned, where a plaque on the floor protects the hole that was left from the cross of St. Peter.
Tempietto di Bramante
3 Piazza di S. Pietro in Montorio
The design of this Bramante’s masterpiece dates back to 1502 although the building was ordered by the Spanish royal family in fulfillment of a vow made for the birth of their first son, John, who died prematurely in 1497. The building was erected as "martyrium" to remember the alleged execution site of St. Peter. It has a colonnade outside, resting on a short flight of stairs also circular, crowned by a balustrade from which rises the dome, partially modified by interventions of seventeenth century. The interior has a round plan, on the altar has a statue of the apostle, made by an unknown artist of the Lombard school of the sixteenth century. Below the round plan room there is a crypt unadorned, where a plaque on the floor protects the hole that was left from the cross of St. Peter.
Located at Via della Lungara no. 230, is the Villa della Farnesina, originally built as the private residence of banker Agostino Chigi between 1505 and 1520, following the design of Baldassarre Peruzzi. It later changed hands to the Farnese family in 1590. The very wealthy Mr. Chigi used the complex to host lavish receptions and banquets. He would have his guests throw silver platters into the Tiber River and his servants would later fetch them out with nets that had been hidden underwater. After the splendid life of Agostino, and then being used as a Landsknechte camp during the Sack of Rome, the villa was purchased by Cardinal Alessandro Farnese in the late 1500s. The name of Farnesina was given to this villa to distinguish it from Palazzo Farnese on the other side of the river. Based on a design by Michelangelo, a bridge across the Tiber was to connect the two Farnese properties. The villa was later passed on to the Borbone family, and then to the Duke of Ripalta through a long-term lease. It was finally purchased by the Italian government as seat for the Accademia d’Italia. Now the property belongs to the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei. The villa is known for its frescos inspired by classic myths and painted by Peruzzi, Raffael, Sebastiano del Piombo, and Sodoma. The current entrance is at the rear of the building (the main facade is the one with two lateral avant-corps). The main feature characterizing the construction and decor is the close connection between the gardens and villa, as if each represented an ideal continuation of the other.
43
Einheimische empfehlen
Villa Farnesina
230 Via della Lungara
43
Einheimische empfehlen
Located at Via della Lungara no. 230, is the Villa della Farnesina, originally built as the private residence of banker Agostino Chigi between 1505 and 1520, following the design of Baldassarre Peruzzi. It later changed hands to the Farnese family in 1590. The very wealthy Mr. Chigi used the complex to host lavish receptions and banquets. He would have his guests throw silver platters into the Tiber River and his servants would later fetch them out with nets that had been hidden underwater. After the splendid life of Agostino, and then being used as a Landsknechte camp during the Sack of Rome, the villa was purchased by Cardinal Alessandro Farnese in the late 1500s. The name of Farnesina was given to this villa to distinguish it from Palazzo Farnese on the other side of the river. Based on a design by Michelangelo, a bridge across the Tiber was to connect the two Farnese properties. The villa was later passed on to the Borbone family, and then to the Duke of Ripalta through a long-term lease. It was finally purchased by the Italian government as seat for the Accademia d’Italia. Now the property belongs to the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei. The villa is known for its frescos inspired by classic myths and painted by Peruzzi, Raffael, Sebastiano del Piombo, and Sodoma. The current entrance is at the rear of the building (the main facade is the one with two lateral avant-corps). The main feature characterizing the construction and decor is the close connection between the gardens and villa, as if each represented an ideal continuation of the other.
Santa Cecilia, music’s patron saint, became martyr here on 230 d. C.. The church, founded before C. V on the place where a Roman house was located, probably Valeriano’s , husband to Santa Cecilia, was redone in obedience to Pope Pasquale I’s will; out of the old construction one saves the apsidal mosaic. During C. XII a porch and a bell-tower were annexed. It was continuously restored ever since C. XVI until C.XIX, respectively by the order of Cardinals Francesco Acquaviva and Giacomo Doria Pamphili. The eighteen-century façade is by Fuga and it is preceded by a porch that treasures the antique columns made of pink granite and African marble. Not to miss out, inside the nearby convent, the fresco "Il Giudizio universale" by Pietro Cavallini, dated C. XIII. INDIRIZZO Piazza di Santa Cecilia, 22 ORARI Basilica: open every day h 10.00-13.00 / 16.00-19.00 Crypt and excavations: open every day h 10.00-13.00 / 16.00-19.00 Cavallini frescoes: weekdays h 10.00-12.30 Visitors are not allowed during Mass (religious services) For services schedule please call the Church. Opening times are subject to change. Please call the Church CONTATTI Email: monastero@benedettinesantacecilia.it Telephone: +39 06 5899289 Telephone: telefono - Fax: 0645492739
25
Einheimische empfehlen
Santa Cecilia in Trastevere
22 Piazza di Santa Cecilia
25
Einheimische empfehlen
Santa Cecilia, music’s patron saint, became martyr here on 230 d. C.. The church, founded before C. V on the place where a Roman house was located, probably Valeriano’s , husband to Santa Cecilia, was redone in obedience to Pope Pasquale I’s will; out of the old construction one saves the apsidal mosaic. During C. XII a porch and a bell-tower were annexed. It was continuously restored ever since C. XVI until C.XIX, respectively by the order of Cardinals Francesco Acquaviva and Giacomo Doria Pamphili. The eighteen-century façade is by Fuga and it is preceded by a porch that treasures the antique columns made of pink granite and African marble. Not to miss out, inside the nearby convent, the fresco "Il Giudizio universale" by Pietro Cavallini, dated C. XIII. INDIRIZZO Piazza di Santa Cecilia, 22 ORARI Basilica: open every day h 10.00-13.00 / 16.00-19.00 Crypt and excavations: open every day h 10.00-13.00 / 16.00-19.00 Cavallini frescoes: weekdays h 10.00-12.30 Visitors are not allowed during Mass (religious services) For services schedule please call the Church. Opening times are subject to change. Please call the Church CONTATTI Email: monastero@benedettinesantacecilia.it Telephone: +39 06 5899289 Telephone: telefono - Fax: 0645492739
It is piazza with a dual personality: tranquil by day with its sparkling fifteenth century fountain, said to be the work of Bramante, seventeenth century Palazzo San Callisto and glittering gold mosaics of the Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere, while in the evening it is transformed into a lively meeting place for night-lifers, with the restaurants and bars’ tables overrunning the paving and all and sundry soaking up the atmosphere on the steps of the fountain. This piazza, unquestionably constituting the core of the district, frequently serves as the venue for markets of all kinds as well as musical and cultural events.
Piazza di Santa Maria in Trastevere
It is piazza with a dual personality: tranquil by day with its sparkling fifteenth century fountain, said to be the work of Bramante, seventeenth century Palazzo San Callisto and glittering gold mosaics of the Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere, while in the evening it is transformed into a lively meeting place for night-lifers, with the restaurants and bars’ tables overrunning the paving and all and sundry soaking up the atmosphere on the steps of the fountain. This piazza, unquestionably constituting the core of the district, frequently serves as the venue for markets of all kinds as well as musical and cultural events.
Nestled in a quiet corner of Trastevere's focal square, this is said to be the oldest church dedicated to the Virgin Mary in Rome. In its original form, it dates to the early 3rd century, but a major 12th-century makeover saw the addition of a Romanesque bell tower and a glittering facade. The portico came later, added by Carlo Fontana in 1702. Inside, the 12th-century mosaics are the headline feature. In the apse, look out for Christ and his mother flanked by various saints and, on the far left, Pope Innocent II holding a model of the church. Beneath this are six mosaics by Pietro Cavallini illustrating the life of the Virgin (c 1291). According to legend, the church stands on the spot where a fountain of oil miraculously sprang from the ground in 32 BC. It incorporates 24 ancient Roman columns, some plundered from the Terme di Caracalla, and boasts a 17th-century wooden ceiling. INDIRIZZO Piazza di Santa Maria in Trastevere ORARI Monday-Sunday: 7.30 - 9.00 pm Visitors are not allowed during Mass (religious services) For services schedule please call the Church. Opening times are subject to change. Please call the Church CONTATTI Email: Santamariaintrastevere@libero.it Fax: +39 06 5896460 Telephone: +39 06 5814802
150
Einheimische empfehlen
Santa Maria in Trastevere
150
Einheimische empfehlen
Nestled in a quiet corner of Trastevere's focal square, this is said to be the oldest church dedicated to the Virgin Mary in Rome. In its original form, it dates to the early 3rd century, but a major 12th-century makeover saw the addition of a Romanesque bell tower and a glittering facade. The portico came later, added by Carlo Fontana in 1702. Inside, the 12th-century mosaics are the headline feature. In the apse, look out for Christ and his mother flanked by various saints and, on the far left, Pope Innocent II holding a model of the church. Beneath this are six mosaics by Pietro Cavallini illustrating the life of the Virgin (c 1291). According to legend, the church stands on the spot where a fountain of oil miraculously sprang from the ground in 32 BC. It incorporates 24 ancient Roman columns, some plundered from the Terme di Caracalla, and boasts a 17th-century wooden ceiling. INDIRIZZO Piazza di Santa Maria in Trastevere ORARI Monday-Sunday: 7.30 - 9.00 pm Visitors are not allowed during Mass (religious services) For services schedule please call the Church. Opening times are subject to change. Please call the Church CONTATTI Email: Santamariaintrastevere@libero.it Fax: +39 06 5896460 Telephone: +39 06 5814802
is located in the former monastery of Sant'Egidio, where the barefoot Carmelite monks lived until the fall of Rome. After it was restored, in 1976, the building became home to the Museum of Folklore and Roman poets, where materials on popular Roman traditions from the Museum of Rome and the Gabinetto Comunale delle Stampe were stored. In 2000, it was reopened to the public with the name of the Museum of Rome in Trastevere. The new renovations allow for a use of the building that is much more responsive to the current needs of the museum, lending itself particularly to the organization of temporary exhibitions especially of photography, performances, conferences and concerts. The museum's permanent collection shows the most important aspects of popular Roman life from the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, filtered through the tastes and beliefs of the artists and folklorists who represented it. The main themes in the collection are fashion, popular dances, secular and religious festivals, and crafts.
9
Einheimische empfehlen
Museo di Roma in Trastevere
1b Piazza di S. Egidio
9
Einheimische empfehlen
is located in the former monastery of Sant'Egidio, where the barefoot Carmelite monks lived until the fall of Rome. After it was restored, in 1976, the building became home to the Museum of Folklore and Roman poets, where materials on popular Roman traditions from the Museum of Rome and the Gabinetto Comunale delle Stampe were stored. In 2000, it was reopened to the public with the name of the Museum of Rome in Trastevere. The new renovations allow for a use of the building that is much more responsive to the current needs of the museum, lending itself particularly to the organization of temporary exhibitions especially of photography, performances, conferences and concerts. The museum's permanent collection shows the most important aspects of popular Roman life from the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, filtered through the tastes and beliefs of the artists and folklorists who represented it. The main themes in the collection are fashion, popular dances, secular and religious festivals, and crafts.
S. DOROTEA The church was mentioned for the first timeduring the beginning of C.the XII centuryin a notification called San Silvestro, made by Callisto II. In1445 the name of S. Dorotea was added since the martyr was buried inside the church. Restored for the Jubilee of 1475 by Sisto IV, it was given to the PadriMinori Conventuali who decided to restore it once again. The job was given to Gian Battista Nolli who terminated it in 1756. The concave facade has tall couples of ionicIoniancolumns and an entryanceportal with a curved gable. The interior has a single nave with six lateralchapels. The base of the main altar, next to the urn with the ashes of the deadsaint, is Gian Battista Nolli’s tomb.
Santa Dorotea
23 Via di Santa Dorotea
S. DOROTEA The church was mentioned for the first timeduring the beginning of C.the XII centuryin a notification called San Silvestro, made by Callisto II. In1445 the name of S. Dorotea was added since the martyr was buried inside the church. Restored for the Jubilee of 1475 by Sisto IV, it was given to the PadriMinori Conventuali who decided to restore it once again. The job was given to Gian Battista Nolli who terminated it in 1756. The concave facade has tall couples of ionicIoniancolumns and an entryanceportal with a curved gable. The interior has a single nave with six lateralchapels. The base of the main altar, next to the urn with the ashes of the deadsaint, is Gian Battista Nolli’s tomb.
In 1231 this church substituted the chapel of the antique hospice of St Biagio, where St Francis lived during his stay in Rome, in 1219. Inside his cell one can still find the stone pillow and his crucifix. Entirely rebuilt by Cardinal Pallavicini in 1680, the church is full of sculptures. The interior is very simple and is divided into three naves with numerous pilasters. The aisles host three chapels each. In the Altieri chapel there is the dramatic scuplture by Bernini the Blessed Ludovica Albertoni. It also houses a reliquary altar by Bernini as well as a canvas potraing St Francis made conformingly with the tradition of his devout Jacopa de' Settesoli. In the oratory is the tomb of the great painter Giorgio de Chirico. INDIRIZZO Piazza San Francesco d'Assisi, 88 ORARI Visitors are not allowed during Mass (religious services) For services schedule please refer to: Opening times are subject to change. Please call the Church Guided tours led by the convent staff are available upon request and booking. Fax: +39 06 5881331 Telephone: +39 06 5819020 - 06 5881331
18
Einheimische empfehlen
Chiesa di San Francesco a Ripa Grande
88 Piazza di S. Francesco d'Assisi
18
Einheimische empfehlen
In 1231 this church substituted the chapel of the antique hospice of St Biagio, where St Francis lived during his stay in Rome, in 1219. Inside his cell one can still find the stone pillow and his crucifix. Entirely rebuilt by Cardinal Pallavicini in 1680, the church is full of sculptures. The interior is very simple and is divided into three naves with numerous pilasters. The aisles host three chapels each. In the Altieri chapel there is the dramatic scuplture by Bernini the Blessed Ludovica Albertoni. It also houses a reliquary altar by Bernini as well as a canvas potraing St Francis made conformingly with the tradition of his devout Jacopa de' Settesoli. In the oratory is the tomb of the great painter Giorgio de Chirico. INDIRIZZO Piazza San Francesco d'Assisi, 88 ORARI Visitors are not allowed during Mass (religious services) For services schedule please refer to: Opening times are subject to change. Please call the Church Guided tours led by the convent staff are available upon request and booking. Fax: +39 06 5881331 Telephone: +39 06 5819020 - 06 5881331
If, per chance, you should one day be enjoying the splendid panorama from the Gianicolo’s belvedere and suddenly hear a loud canon shot, do not be alarmed … just check your watches because it will be midday! Since 1847, on the order’s of Pius IX, a special canon fires blanks at noon on the hour. The pope wanted to set a standard time for all the bells of the Church of Rome so that they would chime at the same time. Since 24th January 1904, the canon has been firing at the top of the Gianicolo from under the statue of Italian Patriot and Hero of Two Worlds Giuseppe Garibaldi and its shot, when the city is little less noisy, may even be heard as far as the Esquilino.
111
Einheimische empfehlen
Janiculum Terrace
111
Einheimische empfehlen
If, per chance, you should one day be enjoying the splendid panorama from the Gianicolo’s belvedere and suddenly hear a loud canon shot, do not be alarmed … just check your watches because it will be midday! Since 1847, on the order’s of Pius IX, a special canon fires blanks at noon on the hour. The pope wanted to set a standard time for all the bells of the Church of Rome so that they would chime at the same time. Since 24th January 1904, the canon has been firing at the top of the Gianicolo from under the statue of Italian Patriot and Hero of Two Worlds Giuseppe Garibaldi and its shot, when the city is little less noisy, may even be heard as far as the Esquilino.
Shopping
E' lo storico *mercato delle pulci* domenicale della capitale. Orari 08:00 - 13:00 Attenzione al portafoglio! Et l'historien marché aux puces de la capitale. Dimanche 8:00-à-13:00 Attention au portefeuille ! It's the historic Sunday market of the capital. Time 08:00 - 13:00. Attention to the wallet!
114
Einheimische empfehlen
Porta Portese
114
Einheimische empfehlen
E' lo storico *mercato delle pulci* domenicale della capitale. Orari 08:00 - 13:00 Attenzione al portafoglio! Et l'historien marché aux puces de la capitale. Dimanche 8:00-à-13:00 Attention au portefeuille ! It's the historic Sunday market of the capital. Time 08:00 - 13:00. Attention to the wallet!
Graphics, shop, rare objects, music and aperitifs. Maximum originality Grafica,shop,oggetti introvabili,musica e aperitivi. Massima originalità Graphics , boutique, objets rares , la musique et les apéritifs . originalité maximale
Elvis Lives Trastevere
27 Via di S. Francesco a Ripa
Graphics, shop, rare objects, music and aperitifs. Maximum originality Grafica,shop,oggetti introvabili,musica e aperitivi. Massima originalità Graphics , boutique, objets rares , la musique et les apéritifs . originalité maximale
Handcrafted products: compasses, hourglasses, globes, medieval notebooks, sealing wax stamps. Prodotti artigianali: bussole, clessidre, mappamondi, quaderni medievali, timbri per ceralacca. Produits artisanaux: compas, sabliers, globes, cahiers médiévaux, cachets de cire à cacheter.
Dust of Time
59 Via del Moro
Handcrafted products: compasses, hourglasses, globes, medieval notebooks, sealing wax stamps. Prodotti artigianali: bussole, clessidre, mappamondi, quaderni medievali, timbri per ceralacca. Produits artisanaux: compas, sabliers, globes, cahiers médiévaux, cachets de cire à cacheter.
Acid Drop is an independent brand in which all the creations, from t-shirts to jewels, are made by artists. Steampunk costume jewelry, street art, accessories, posters and ... much more! Acid Drop è un marchio indipendente in cui tutte le creazioni, dalle t-shirt ai gioielli, sono realizzate da artisti. Bigiotteria Steampunk, arte di strada, accessori, poster e ... molto altro! Acid Drop est une marque indépendante dans laquelle toutes les créations, du t-shirt au bijou, sont réalisées par des artistes. Bijoux fantaisie Steampunk, street art, accessoires, affiches et bien plus encore!
ACID DROP
14 Via del Moro
Acid Drop is an independent brand in which all the creations, from t-shirts to jewels, are made by artists. Steampunk costume jewelry, street art, accessories, posters and ... much more! Acid Drop è un marchio indipendente in cui tutte le creazioni, dalle t-shirt ai gioielli, sono realizzate da artisti. Bigiotteria Steampunk, arte di strada, accessori, poster e ... molto altro! Acid Drop est une marque indépendante dans laquelle toutes les créations, du t-shirt au bijou, sont réalisées par des artistes. Bijoux fantaisie Steampunk, street art, accessoires, affiches et bien plus encore!
it is a contemporary jewelry atelier in Trastevere where objects of experimentation and research are found on new and traditional materials. è un atelier di gioielli contemporanei a Trastevere dove si trovano oggetti di sperimentazione e di ricerca su materiali nuovi e tradizionali. c'est un atelier de joaillerie contemporain à Trastevere où l'on trouve des objets d'expérimentation et de recherche sur des matériaux nouveaux et traditionnels.
Anna Retico Design
13 Vicolo de' Cinque
it is a contemporary jewelry atelier in Trastevere where objects of experimentation and research are found on new and traditional materials. è un atelier di gioielli contemporanei a Trastevere dove si trovano oggetti di sperimentazione e di ricerca su materiali nuovi e tradizionali. c'est un atelier de joaillerie contemporain à Trastevere où l'on trouve des objets d'expérimentation et de recherche sur des matériaux nouveaux et traditionnels.
Food Scene
Mediterranean specialties in a pleasant atmosphere with newspaper clippings on the walls and touches vintage. Reservation required Specialità mediterranee in un ambiente decorato con ritagli di giornale alle pareti e tocchi vintage. Prenotazione richiesta.
11
Einheimische empfehlen
Meridionale Restaurant
30/a Via dei Fienaroli
11
Einheimische empfehlen
Mediterranean specialties in a pleasant atmosphere with newspaper clippings on the walls and touches vintage. Reservation required Specialità mediterranee in un ambiente decorato con ritagli di giornale alle pareti e tocchi vintage. Prenotazione richiesta.
Roman cooking,pizza and wine in a cozy and confortable Hosteria. Cucina romana,pizza e vini in un'osteria rustica accogliente e confortevole - la cucina chiude a tarda notte.
7
Einheimische empfehlen
Cajo & Gajo
10 Piazza San Callisto
7
Einheimische empfehlen
Roman cooking,pizza and wine in a cozy and confortable Hosteria. Cucina romana,pizza e vini in un'osteria rustica accogliente e confortevole - la cucina chiude a tarda notte.
Gourmet breakfasts, weekend brunches and the well-know Afternoon Tea Time - romantic dinners, cocktails all in a spectacular location! Location formidabile - è uno dei miei preferiti!!!
6
Einheimische empfehlen
Vivi Bistrot
2 Piazza Navona
6
Einheimische empfehlen
Gourmet breakfasts, weekend brunches and the well-know Afternoon Tea Time - romantic dinners, cocktails all in a spectacular location! Location formidabile - è uno dei miei preferiti!!!
Historical restaurant of the capital (from 1922): prices from € 60,00 per person. Ristorante storico della capitale, dal 1922: prezzi a partire da € 60,00 a persona.
17
Einheimische empfehlen
Antica Pesa
18 Via Garibaldi
17
Einheimische empfehlen
Historical restaurant of the capital (from 1922): prices from € 60,00 per person. Ristorante storico della capitale, dal 1922: prezzi a partire da € 60,00 a persona.
Paola, Chiara, Flaminia and Alice welcome you to their restaurant as if it were their home. A stone's throw from Ponte Sisto, in the center of Rome opens Pianostrada, a Kitchen Workshop where you can eat both at the counter and at the table, in an informal environment, but with refined elegance, where the details are all female. Inside an enchanted garden that will surprise you with its beauty. Paola, Chiara, Flaminia e Alice ti accolgono nel loro ristorante come fosse la loro casa. A due passi da Ponte Sisto, in pieno centro a Roma apre Pianostrada, un Laboratorio di Cucina dove si può mangiare sia al bancone che al tavolo, in un ambiente informale, ma di ricercata eleganza, dove i dettagli sono tutti al femminile. All’ interno un giardino incantato che vi sorprenderà per la sua bellezza.
16
Einheimische empfehlen
Pianostrada
16
Einheimische empfehlen
Paola, Chiara, Flaminia and Alice welcome you to their restaurant as if it were their home. A stone's throw from Ponte Sisto, in the center of Rome opens Pianostrada, a Kitchen Workshop where you can eat both at the counter and at the table, in an informal environment, but with refined elegance, where the details are all female. Inside an enchanted garden that will surprise you with its beauty. Paola, Chiara, Flaminia e Alice ti accolgono nel loro ristorante come fosse la loro casa. A due passi da Ponte Sisto, in pieno centro a Roma apre Pianostrada, un Laboratorio di Cucina dove si può mangiare sia al bancone che al tavolo, in un ambiente informale, ma di ricercata eleganza, dove i dettagli sono tutti al femminile. All’ interno un giardino incantato che vi sorprenderà per la sua bellezza.
Just like diving into the most genuine and authentic tradition. Un tuffo nella più verace e autentica tradizione romanesca.
67
Einheimische empfehlen
Trattoria Da Enzo al 29
29 Via dei Vascellari
67
Einheimische empfehlen
Just like diving into the most genuine and authentic tradition. Un tuffo nella più verace e autentica tradizione romanesca.
Rich first course dishes with Roman and Mediterranean traditional flavors Ricchi primi piatti dai sapori tradizionali della cucina romana e mediterranea.
9
Einheimische empfehlen
Ristorante Arco Di S. Calisto
45 Via dell'Arco di S. Calisto
9
Einheimische empfehlen
Rich first course dishes with Roman and Mediterranean traditional flavors Ricchi primi piatti dai sapori tradizionali della cucina romana e mediterranea.
Pastry, bar: Ideal for breakfast and for a brunch. Outdoor tables. Bar pasticceria : Ideale per la colazione e per un brunch. Tavoli all’aperto. Pâtisserie: Idéal pour le petit déjeuner et pour un brunch. Tables d'extérieur
9
Einheimische empfehlen
Caffe' Settimiano Di Mella Valter E C Sas
1 Via di Porta Settimiana
9
Einheimische empfehlen
Pastry, bar: Ideal for breakfast and for a brunch. Outdoor tables. Bar pasticceria : Ideale per la colazione e per un brunch. Tavoli all’aperto. Pâtisserie: Idéal pour le petit déjeuner et pour un brunch. Tables d'extérieur
Founded in 1958 by grandfather Gildo, this restaurant, located in the heart of Trastevere, is now in its third generation. It offers traditional Roman dishes, handed down from generation to generation, prepared with seasonal and always fresh ingredients. To try are the artichokes, proposed fried, in soup, baked in foil, raw in salads; gnocchi alla romana, pizzas cooked in a wood-fired oven and many other dishes worthy of being enjoyed. Fondato nel 1958 da nonno Gildo, questo locale, ubicato nel cuore di Trastevere, è giunto alla terza generazione. Offre i piatti della tradizione romana, tramandati di generazione in generazione, preparati con ingredienti stagionali e sempre freschi. Da provare sono i carciofi, proposti fritti, in zuppa, al cartoccio, crudi in insalata; gli gnocchi alla romana, le pizze cotte nel forno a legna e tanti altri piatti degni di essere gustati
6
Einheimische empfehlen
Da Gildo
31A Via della Scala
6
Einheimische empfehlen
Founded in 1958 by grandfather Gildo, this restaurant, located in the heart of Trastevere, is now in its third generation. It offers traditional Roman dishes, handed down from generation to generation, prepared with seasonal and always fresh ingredients. To try are the artichokes, proposed fried, in soup, baked in foil, raw in salads; gnocchi alla romana, pizzas cooked in a wood-fired oven and many other dishes worthy of being enjoyed. Fondato nel 1958 da nonno Gildo, questo locale, ubicato nel cuore di Trastevere, è giunto alla terza generazione. Offre i piatti della tradizione romana, tramandati di generazione in generazione, preparati con ingredienti stagionali e sempre freschi. Da provare sono i carciofi, proposti fritti, in zuppa, al cartoccio, crudi in insalata; gli gnocchi alla romana, le pizze cotte nel forno a legna e tanti altri piatti degni di essere gustati
The name of the restaurant is ‘capital sins’, because their intention is to give you unadulterated culinary ‘pleasure’. The pleasure of eating freshly caught fish from the open seas around Terracina sumptuously prepared by the chef Fabio Di Felice. Price: Medium - Hight Reservation is a must Il nome del ristorante è "Vizi Capitali", perché la loro intenzione è quella di darti un "piacere" culinario non adulterato. Il piacere di mangiare pesce appena pescato dal mare aperto intorno a Terracina preparato sontuosamente dallo chef Fabio Di Felice. Prezzo: medio - alto la prenotazione è d'obbligo
Vizi Capitali
The name of the restaurant is ‘capital sins’, because their intention is to give you unadulterated culinary ‘pleasure’. The pleasure of eating freshly caught fish from the open seas around Terracina sumptuously prepared by the chef Fabio Di Felice. Price: Medium - Hight Reservation is a must Il nome del ristorante è "Vizi Capitali", perché la loro intenzione è quella di darti un "piacere" culinario non adulterato. Il piacere di mangiare pesce appena pescato dal mare aperto intorno a Terracina preparato sontuosamente dallo chef Fabio Di Felice. Prezzo: medio - alto la prenotazione è d'obbligo
Drinks & Nightlife
Brunch a prezzo fisso e aperitivo tra gli arredi riciclati e le statue di un locale dallo stile originale. Da vedere. Brunch à un prix fixe et un apéritif entre les meubles recyclés et statues d'un style original local. Pour voir . Brunch at a fixed price and drink with the furniture recycled and statues of a local original style.
9
Einheimische empfehlen
Alembic
9
Einheimische empfehlen
Brunch a prezzo fisso e aperitivo tra gli arredi riciclati e le statue di un locale dallo stile originale. Da vedere. Brunch à un prix fixe et un apéritif entre les meubles recyclés et statues d'un style original local. Pour voir . Brunch at a fixed price and drink with the furniture recycled and statues of a local original style.
Music & Cocktail Per l'aperitivo solitamente è sempre pieno Musique & Cocktail pour la boisson habituellement est toujours plein Music & Cocktail For the aperitif is usually always full.
99
Einheimische empfehlen
Freni e Frizoni
4 Via del Politeama
99
Einheimische empfehlen
Music & Cocktail Per l'aperitivo solitamente è sempre pieno Musique & Cocktail pour la boisson habituellement est toujours plein Music & Cocktail For the aperitif is usually always full.
Cocktail e musica dal vivo in raffinato ambiente stile british. Cocktails et musique live dans un cadre raffiné de style britannique . Personnel amical et un service rapide . Cocktails and live music in the elegant setting British style.
13
Einheimische empfehlen
Pimm's Good
8 Via di Santa Dorotea
13
Einheimische empfehlen
Cocktail e musica dal vivo in raffinato ambiente stile british. Cocktails et musique live dans un cadre raffiné de style britannique . Personnel amical et un service rapide . Cocktails and live music in the elegant setting British style.
Santo Trastevere
40 Via della Paglia
Essentials
Supermercato ben fornito. Supermarché bien approvisionné Well stocked supermarket.
11
Einheimische empfehlen
Coop
70 Via dei Pettinari
11
Einheimische empfehlen
Supermercato ben fornito. Supermarché bien approvisionné Well stocked supermarket.
In caso di smarrimento documenti e denunce. Dans le cas des documents et des plaintes perdues. In case of lost documents - complaints
Commissariato Trastevere
64 Via di S. Francesco a Ripa
In caso di smarrimento documenti e denunce. Dans le cas des documents et des plaintes perdues. In case of lost documents - complaints
Laundry. Blanchisserie.
Il Mastello
35 Via della Pelliccia
Laundry. Blanchisserie.
Meats and cheeses pasta Lazio and Roman products Salumi e formaggi pasta Lazio e prodotti romani Viandes et fromages pâtes Latium et produits romains
32
Einheimische empfehlen
Antica Caciara
140A/B Via di S. Francesco a Ripa
32
Einheimische empfehlen
Meats and cheeses pasta Lazio and Roman products Salumi e formaggi pasta Lazio e prodotti romani Viandes et fromages pâtes Latium et produits romains
Tourist medical service available for Italian and foreign tourists, seasonal workers and all those who need urgent medical care in Rome. Direct access, no prescription required. Usual Prescription charges apply. Open 24/7 even on holidays, address: Via Emilio Morosini, 30 Guardia Medica Turistica Garde médical touristique
6
Einheimische empfehlen
ASL Roma 1 - Poliambulatorio Nuovo Regina Margherita
30 Via Emilio Morosini
6
Einheimische empfehlen
Tourist medical service available for Italian and foreign tourists, seasonal workers and all those who need urgent medical care in Rome. Direct access, no prescription required. Usual Prescription charges apply. Open 24/7 even on holidays, address: Via Emilio Morosini, 30 Guardia Medica Turistica Garde médical touristique
American private university founded in 1972. The University name is a tribute to the Italian explorer Giovanni Caboto famous for having discovered Canada in 1497. Università privata americana fondata nel 1972 . Il nome dell'Università è un omaggio all'esploratore italiano Giovanni Caboto famoso per aver scoperto il Canada nel 1497.
9
Einheimische empfehlen
John Cabot University
233 Via della Lungara
9
Einheimische empfehlen
American private university founded in 1972. The University name is a tribute to the Italian explorer Giovanni Caboto famous for having discovered Canada in 1497. Università privata americana fondata nel 1972 . Il nome dell'Università è un omaggio all'esploratore italiano Giovanni Caboto famoso per aver scoperto il Canada nel 1497.
Entertainment & Activities
Ape Calessino, Vespa, Segway Tours e noleggio scooter con consegna dove vuoi tu. Personale simpatico e attento ad ogni esigenza. Vespa , Segway Tours et Location de scooter de livraison partout où vous voulez . Le personnel amical et attentif à tous les besoins . Calessino, Vespa, Segway Tours and rental scooter with delivery wherever you want. staff sympathetic and attentive to every need
MY VESPA
80 Via Cavour
Ape Calessino, Vespa, Segway Tours e noleggio scooter con consegna dove vuoi tu. Personale simpatico e attento ad ogni esigenza. Vespa , Segway Tours et Location de scooter de livraison partout où vous voulez . Le personnel amical et attentif à tous les besoins . Calessino, Vespa, Segway Tours and rental scooter with delivery wherever you want. staff sympathetic and attentive to every need