Japan Host Insurance
Protection for every host. Every listing. Every time.
Japan Host Insurance may provide coverage of up to ¥100,000,000 JPY if property or a listing owned or managed by the host is damaged due to the guest’s stay. It may also provide coverage where the host incurs liability or expenses in relation to property damage or bodily injury of the guest or third party.
Japan Host Insurance may cover:
- Cases where the listing is damaged due to the guest’s stay
- Cases where the host is held liable for bodily injury of the guest or third party
- Cases where the host is held liable for property damage of the guest or third party
- Expense coverage in cases where the host incurs expenses in relation to property damage or bodily injury of the guest or third party
Insurance coverage is limited to Japan. Hosts seeking payments under Japan Host Insurance agree to cooperate with Airbnb and the insurance company, including providing documentation of the claimed damage and agreeing to inspections in rare cases when it is necessary.
Japan Host Insurance doesn't cover:
- Cash and securities of the host
- Real estate that is owned by a party other than the host and that is not managed by the host
- Damage caused due to an intentional act by the host
- Reasonable wear and tear
- Ordinary cleaning expenses
Certain types of property are subject to limited protections. Hosts may want to secure or remove valuables when renting their listing and consider independent insurance to cover such items.
How to file a listing damage claim
1. Gather evidence of damage
This may include photos, videos, estimates, and/or receipts of the items.
2. Contact the guest through the Resolution Center
The host should send a request for reimbursement to our Resolution Center within 14 days of checkout or before their next guest checks in, whichever is earlier. The guest will have 72 hours to respond to the host's request.
3. Get reimbursed or involve Airbnb
If the guest is unwilling to pay the full amount, the host may be eligible for reimbursement under Japan Host Insurance. After contacting Airbnb, a support specialist will guide the host through the process.
How to file a claim in cases where the host incurs liability or other expenses
If the host incurs liability or other expenses in relation to property damage or bodily injury of the guest or a third party related to their listing, please contact Community Support. After receiving supporting documentation and information, the case will be transferred from Airbnb to a third-party insurance payment business operator.
Your questions answered
Japan Host Insurance should not be considered as a replacement or stand-in for homeowners or renters insurance. Hosts may want to consider independent insurance to cover valuable items like jewelry, artwork, and collectibles which are subject to limited protection under Japan Host Insurance.
We strongly encourage hosts to review and understand the terms of their insurance policy, and what it covers and does not cover. Not all insurance plans will cover damage to or loss of household property caused by a guest who books your space.